Friends are amazing people who make life appear to be easier than it really is, they are like the plantain to the boring beans, the small chops in a party, the orisirisi (different kinds of meat) in eforiro, the gala and drink in Lagos traffic. You can do it without them, but it is more fun when you have and they should be appreciated once in a while.
We tend to get used to them being around, and not know efforts on our side can make them better friends than they are now. Some friends are mean and will still be mean no matter how hard you treat them, but because of the bad eggs, we can’t ignore the good eggs.
Before we get to the list on how to appreciate good friends, how many people are you being good friends to? Do you have anyone who will want to appreciate you for being a good friend?
- Compliment them: Just the way you appreciate when your partner compliments your looks and clothes, you should appreciate your friends in that manner too. When you meet up with your friends for a movie, lunch, or class, remember to mention to them if they look nice or smell nice.
The bad part about this is if you lie, they will know. Don’t assume they already know they look good, I’m sure you’ll feel good too if you are complimented by your friend.
- Be sincere with them: In this present world of people hailing you even as you are walking into the ditch, a sincere friend will be much appreciated.
Sometimes when I’m on Instagram and I see two friends in a picture, one will be properly dressed and the other one will just be dressed one kind, I’ll be wondering if they are really friends. If your friend is doing something that’s wrong, you should endeavor to be sincere and tell them the truth.
- Defend them when needed: The feeling we get when we know there is someone who can and will defend us anytime we need them, you should be able to provide that feeling for someone too.
If you have a friend you cannot defend, you should maybe discard the friend. You should be able to able to stand up for your friend, just the way “jenifa” is almost always there for “kiki” in the jenifa’s dairy series. That’s how you should stand up for your friends.
- Don’t discuss their faults with other people: Anything you are discussing about your friends with other people must be something that will be better their lives, not just idle talks. You should not talk about their faults with other people, you should talk to them instead.
You can discuss their offences with someone if you are having issues with them, but you shouldn’t capitalise on just their faults or make the subject of discussion their faults.
- Keep in touch: I’m guilty of this one, I’m just learning how to properly keep in touch with good friends. Some of your friends can get busy and not just to reach out to you, not because they don’t want to reach out to you.
It’s true they say if you care about someone, you’ll reach out to them. But it wouldn’t take anything from you if you reach out to them first. If you really value the friendship, you wouldn’t mind reaching out to them.
- Pray for them: This is the most important of it all, you should always pray for your friends. This is the best way to appreciate them because they don’t know how much you have invested for them in prayers. Things done in private are mostly worthwhile than things done publicly.
Develop the act of continuously and consistently appreciating your friends, imagine there are no small chops in a Nigeria party, how boring will it be? Hold on to your small chops!!! You can also share how you appreciate your good friends in the comment section, we will love to hear from you.